Letters In Grace's Facebook Wall

Monday, October 22, 2007

Good Books to Read

I am very excited to have Dr. Renald Showers coming back to our church in 2 weeks! His book What On Earth Is God Doing? is such a great macro view of God's plan of redemption. I don't own the book but he preached and taught the contents of this book for three days with us. (Are book titles italicized, underlined, bold, or in quotes? English class was not my strength) Anyway, our little church has been SO lucky to have great authors come to speak. Dr Whitcomb famous author of the Genesis Flood (neighbor of General Patton growing up and went to college while Einstein was a professor there) came to our church and preached for 3 days. I had the pleasure of spending a day with him. A very cool man of God. Plus some men who have gone on to be with the Lord have written so many good books. The best books are really just teaching the word of God. My time is precious enough that I really don't have time to read many books. I feel I need to be reading and getting to know the scriptures firsts. I make books secondary but they are important and I know I need to read more than I do.

Must read books include A.W. Tozer's "Knowledge of the Holy" Arthur Pinks "Practical Christianity" I think "Hard to Believe" By John MacArthur along with the Gospel According to Jesus by MacArthur are must reads. I want to read Packard's Knowing God. These books are profitable but they are the work of man and do not measure up to the authority and perfection of the Scriptures, so remember when reading always let the Bible be the final word.


It's hard to know what books and authors you can trust. Be careful there is a lot of bad stuff out there. Trust books from other authors like John Piper, Steve Lawson and other Bible expositors. Expositors means they simply teach the text verse by verse. The goal is to simply unpack and teach all that the verse(s) hold.

Get in your Bible and also some other good books and rediscover the lost are of reading.

No comments: