Letters In Grace's Facebook Wall

Friday, January 25, 2008

Roll Over Spurgeon...we've gone too far!

From the book Spurgeon Gold:

Now poor sinner, with all your sin about you, take this promise in your hands, go home tonight, or if you can, do it before you get home — go home, I say, up-stairs, alone, down by the bed-side, and pour out thine heart, “O Lord, it is all true that that man said; I am condemned, and Lord I deserve it. O Lord, I have tried to be better, and I have done nothing with it all, but have only grown worse. O Lord, I have slighted your grace, I have despised your gospel: I wonder you have not damned me years ago; Lord, I marvel at myself, that you suffer such a base wretch as I am to live at all. I have despised a mother’s teaching, I have forgotten a father’s prayers. Lord, I have forgotten you; I have broken your Sabbath, taken your name in vain. I have done everything that is wrong, and if you do condemn me, what can I say? Lord, I am dumb before your presence.

I heard a preacher the other day being "very frank" about the true state of mankind. He was preaching judgment for sin and talking about hell, which is rarely heard today. Then he said "You 60 and 70 year old's haven't heard this type of preaching for a long time, but as a kid you heard it all the time." They burst out with big amen's! Wow...it hit me, they really have seen a huge change in what is called Christianity in their lifetime. How sad it must be for our senior citizens to see what our country has become and what "Christianity" has become!

Listen.....can you hear Charles Hadden Spurgeon rolling over in his grave?

No comments: