Letters In Grace's Facebook Wall

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Old Churches


I love old churches! Every now and then I have to do some audio work in an old church here. It's an old Presbyterian church. Lot's of old wood and creeky steps and creeky wood floors under the carpet up the dark back hall into the choir loft. From the rafters of the church I look out over old wooden pews and a pulpit that looks so old. I love to imagine old time preachers clearly sharing the Scriptures. I love to imagine people sitting on their old wool and cotton Sunday clothes listening to God's Word and worshiping. It seems I have a pretty hard time finding good stuff to read from pastors post 1940's or 1950's. I know just a little about the change in American culture in the 1950's and 1960's.... It seems a pretty dramatic shift in theology came along. I can't be too specific, I haven't researched it enough. Anyway I love the old sermons from some of the Puritan's. I think of a young America when these churches were new and the doctrine was pretty pure. When preachers talked about the state of man before a Holy God.

I also LOVE old Bibles. To hold a Bible in your hands from 100 even 200 years ago and see it's the same exact words! The same exact truth and it works the same way it always has....unchanging truth of God cutting to the heart to reveal sin and our need for Christ.

Gotta run....have a great day.

No comments: